Meet Nicole Wells. Visit her professional website and you’ll learn that she turned her greatest fear – public speaking – into her greatest asset: teaching others how to speak with confidence.
Nicole is my public speaking coach. I love her. She is one of the most professional, fun, funny (squash that, hilarious) ladies that I know. Using humor and a steady hand, she helped guide me through a good portion of my own public speaking fears. When she asked me to help her get her home office in order, I jumped at the chance: Nicole gets results.
Nicole and I did a two-part coaching session: two-hours one week, then two hours a few weeks later. The first two-hours we did the Home IQ, found our Anchor Spot (her home office) then worked Maeve’s Method. The second two-hours we dove deep into her home office systems, all in an effort to help her improve her productivity and get better results.
Nicole is married to the lovely Mark. Mark did not participate in these sessions, but was home for a portion our first session, long enough for me to get some feedback on how he likes to live inside his home.
My journey with Nicole was tracked by Pulitzer Prize winning photographer, Kelly Guenther (thanks Kelly!). Kelly captured the emotional range of the process, and made Nicole’s clutter… look as pretty as a bride.
Click through our slideshow below ↓ and enjoy Nicole’s journey as she discovers both the joys – and challenges – of bringing order to home using Maeve’s Method.
- Peering inside the front hall closet.
- The apartment has tall ceilings. There's a lot of "up high" space.
- "It could be neater, but it works."
- Nicole is 5'9". The trend to "stuff high" continues here.
- "I have an office in the living room. Mark dumps his stuff here."
- "The oversized furniture was Mark's. It's too big for this room."
- Her good-natured husband's one request: "A spot to dump my stuff."
- Nicole runs a Public Speaking Business from home.
- How Nicole feels about it.
- "It works, but I wish I had one drawer not four."
- Maeve teaches Maeve's Method
- "If you could bring immediate relief to one area, what would that be?"
- Her Home Office
- We've moved everything from desktop to floor.
- Nicole creates piles in categories according to her.
- I'm known to puzzle clients with tough questions...
- "I have this out of sight out of mind thing. I keep everything out."
- I've asked Nicole to pick out a few pens. Only what she needs to live on her desk.
- Nicole drops things on "top" shelves. We cleared the shelf of clutter and cables...
- This visually opened the space.
- Now she looks at Mark. It's a "no-drop" zone.
- Finally, setting up systems
- It's in good shape.
- Nicole lists 5 achievable follow-throughs and goals.
- A Home Office to meets Nicole's needs.
- "I'm thrilled!"